I am Professor in Latin American Studies at the University of Liverpool since 2022. In September 2013 I joined the staff at the University of Liverpool first as Senior Lecturer in Latin American Studies and, since 2015 I have been Reader in Latin American Studies at Liverpool. I have taught Spanish, Latin American Cultural Studies, Film, and Digital Culture in the Higher Education sector since September 1999, at Waterford Institute of Technology, Dublin City University, University of Dublin, Trinity College and the University of Ulster.
- Film Studies, Latin American Literature, Memory and Trauma and Cultural Production, Language Teaching, and Translation
- Global Flows Summer School, July 2012, Bielefeld, Germany, see the blog here: http://globalflows12.wordpress.com/
- Research Methods, Latin American Film, National and Transnational Cinema, and Cinema and the City.
- Spanish Language (all levels), Area Studies and Film Studies.
- Modules include: Translation studies at undergraduate and MA level, language (all levels), Latin America Culture, Politics and Society, Latin American Cinema, World Cinema, Critical Readings in Film Studies, and supervision and correction of undergraduate dissertations.
I have another blog, this one is about my various strategies to learn Portuguese: https://figuringthroughportuguese.wordpress.com/. I set it up to reflect on the process of language learning and to share on- and offline tools.
- Supervision of Metin Senel Collective Memory, Trauma and Cinematic Presentation: Military Dictatorships in Latin American Cinema
- Supervision of Juliette Doman on traumatic memory and the Guatemalan trials.
- Supervision of Victoria McCollum who completed her PhD on post-9-11 horror. For more on her project see: www.freshblood-filmstudies.blogspot.com. Published as a monograph: Post-9/11 Heartland Horror: Rural Horror Films in an Era of Urban Terrorism Ashgate, 2016.
- Co-supervision of Conn Holohan, who completed his PhD on Spanish and Irish Film in 2006. Published as a monograph: Cinema on the Periphery: Contemporary Irish and Spanish Film Irish Academic Press, 2009.
For undergraduate modules:
- National University of Ireland, Galway 2017-2021
- University of Glasgow 2016-2020
- University of Leeds 2011-2015
- University of Manchester 2011-2015
- University of Liverpool 2007-2011
For doctoral degrees:
- Royal Holloway, University of London
- University College London
- Universidad del País Vasco, Spain
- Universidad Autónoma de Madrid / Autonomous University of Madrid
- NUI, Maynooth
- Royal Holloway, University of London
- Kings College London,
- University of Dublin, Trinity College
- University of Aberdeen
- University College Cork
- Universidad de Granada.
PRESENTATIONS AND PUBLICATIONS ON TEACHING PRACTICE
Contribution to an episode of student-led Spanish language podcast, Pódcast con tilde 12th May 2022: https://stream.liv.ac.uk/jtw4m3w9
Curated Playlist for Learning on Screen and Box of Broadcast, “South from the North: the Mexico-US Border and Beyond”, 11th May 2022: https://bit.ly/3L7uxGU
“Optimising Canvas Design Engaging Students” sharing best practice, Languages, Cultures, and Film, University of Liverpool, February 2022.
“Podcasting: Curating Content”, Using Technology for Pedagogical Purposes: Modern Languages and Cultures Training Day, University of Liverpool, Tuesday 25th June 2019.
“Blogging for Teaching and Reflection”, Histories, Languages and Cultures Teaching and Learning Symposium, University of Liverpool, Friday 11th November 2016.
Thornton, Niamh. “Going Beyond the Surface: the Function and Use of a Meta-Blog”, Centre for Higher Education Practice Annual Conference, Student Engagement: A Catalyst for Transformative Change, University of Ulster, Jordanstown Campus, 24th January 2013. Click here for the presentation.
Thornton, Niamh. “Exploiting online video resources for vocabulary building”, Handbook of Good Practice in Multimedia Language Learning, 2008, available at: http://www.cemll.ulster.ac.uk/handbook/index.php.
“Apps, Ops and MP3s: Learning Languages on the Move”, Making Multimedia Work in the Digital Lab, University of Ulster, Belfast Campus, 18th September 2009.
“Using YouTube in the Classroom”, Centre for Excellence of Multimedia Language Learning workshop, Teaching and Learning Languages with Multimedia Coleraine and Magee campuses, 20-21 January 2009.
“Auditory Freeware”, Technology and Third Level Language Teaching Conference, University of Ulster, Coleraine, 17 May 2006.